I want to start tying my own flies, how do I start?

Helpful and constructive fishing hintsand tips can be found here.

I want to start tying my own flies, how do I start?

Postby buddhabaker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:13 pm

You're about to enter a whole new world by adding another dimension to your fly-fishing. I'm convinced that once you start down the 'rolling your own' route, you will become more observant of what's going on around you.

You'll pay more attention to hatches plus where, when and how the trout are feeding. What's more, there is no greater sense of satisfaction than catching a trout on a fly that you've tied yourself. You will remember when it first happened to you and the memory will remain forever.

First you'll need a fly tying vice, an affordable one that will perform all the basic functions. Some are single lever vices and others rotary - both will suit your needs.

Then, of course, you'll require tools to tie with. Your basic set will consist of a bobbin holder to hold the thread, sharp scissors to cut and trim, hackle pliers to wind hackles around the hook and a whip finish tool to tie off the finished fly.

A Starter Kit without tools costs less than £20. The kit should have hooks and materials necessary to create most popular basic patterns. If you wish to splash out a bit more, there's the Professional Kit with tools, threads and materials plus coloured instruction cards and tying tips - all in a neat case. Whatever you choose, it's important to practice whenever you can. Before you know it, you'll be tying several patterns in an hour.
buddhabaker

Return to Hints & Tips