How do I prepare Tiger Nuts?

Helpful and constructive fishing hintsand tips can be found here.

How do I prepare Tiger Nuts?

Postby buddhabaker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:22 pm

Like many other nuts, seeds or pulses tiger nuts can be very dangerous to carp if they aren't prepared correctly. Always soak them in a bucket of water for 24 hours before boiling gently for 30 minutes. Never soak or boil them for shorter periods.

Correctly prepared tigers will have swollen, have a smoother appearance and a lovely fresh smell. Although they will not soften inside after boiling, a baiting needle or drill will easily push through them.

After boiling leave the nuts in the same water for a few days and they will begin to develop a snotty, slimy feel as the natural sugars in the nuts ferment. Carp find this sweet, snotty solution irresistible - although handling them is messier.

A good tip is to soak and boil a kilo or two at a time and then split the finished bait into small helpings and freeze in separate bags. Tiger nuts are always at their best when used sparingly - I rarely find any need to take more than a handful. Stick to stringers and a dozen freebies around each hook-bait.
buddhabaker

Return to Hints & Tips